Thursday, September 25, 2008

More tests...

So far this week I have had so many doctors' appointments, it isn't even funny... :(

Wednesday I had a heart scan and a full body CT. I am glad they did them in the same appointment because that allowed me to minimize the needle pokes I got. Apparently I have hard-to-find veins. They just gave me an IV so I didn't have to get poked more than twice while I was there. Heart scans, for the record, are quite boring. I was just laying there and nothing was moving or beeping or whirring or anything. I think the machine was broken or something. However, the 30 minutes of boredom for the heart scan PALE in comparison to the 2 hours of boredom that was the PET scan this morning...

First of all, it was at 7 AM out in freaking MERIDIAN, which meant we left at 6:30 AM. They gave me a bunch of shots, including one shot of radioactive sugar. I then had to sit, alone, in the dark for an hour. Then I was wrapped up really tight in a blanket, with my arms at my sides, like a mummy (or a nutcase in a straightjacket!). Then I was put onto a very narrow table and shoved into a small tube and left there for 55 minutes, and not allowed to move for the entirety of that. I kind of snoozed while I was in there, because what else was there to do? If I twitched much I would have fallen right off the table, four feet down to the tile floor, and with my arms all bound up at my sides, that would have hurt a bit. Next time I get a PET scan, I'm bringing my iPod so I can have something to distract me for the hour of waiting for the dye to spread, though there's nothing I can do about the 55 minutes in the tube.

Tomorrow morning, I go in for the bone marrow biopsy. I am not looking forward to this, because many people say it hurts like hell. On the other hand, a lot of people say it only hurts a bit more than a shot. So I guess we'll see. Apparently some people react badly to the anaesthesia so I have to have mom drive me there and back. Hopefully I'll be back on my feet by 1:30, because I have to take a quiz then! Digital Signal Processing, bleh.

Monday I go in for the biopsy on the right swelling and having the portacath put in. I actually get to be asleep for this one so it'll be an all day procedure (I check in at 10 AM, and will be discharged around 4 or 5). Fun, fun. Presumably I'll be on my feet again in time for my 7:40 AM class the next day. Bah.

In other news, I saw the cinecast of the final Rent performance on Broadway, and it was fantastic, except I was continuously distracted by the actor who plays Roger because he had really freaky pale blue eyes, with creepy eyeliner, and then in the last scene when he's singing his not-so-great song, he's wearing a horrible purple shirt. I think that scene just isn't meant to be put onto film, because it was creepy in the movie, and it was stupid in the cinecast. Other than THAT, though, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

6 comments:

stephanie b. said...

hey emily (aka ROGER)! saw this link on your facebook site. sorry to hear about everything you're going through...i miss you and i think about you often.

Andrea said...

Cinecast! Cinecast! That sounds exciting. I like freakishly blue eyes, but creepy eyeliner... not so much.
And hooray for Stephanie remembering that you prefer to be called Roger!

Kim said...

Yeah have to agree with Andrea on the blue eye thing.. and the eyeliner. I didn't mind so much :) Cya tomorrow hopefully!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the Rent cinecast....even if Roger has freaky eyes. I hope everything goes well today!

Emma said...

Wow that sounds really obnoxious... Seems like they could make it more entertaining when you have to just lay there for such a long time!

D.Smith said...

Good GOD. My parents never mention stuff like this... the sitting and the waiting and the drooling (i'm assuming the drooling here). They're always just like "oh i had to send someone down to radiology." It always sounded so trivial. At this point you will have done your bone marrow biopsy, and I REALLY REALLY hope it felt like a shot. I had an interview with your dad's friend (her firm is kind of intimidating), and the whole time I was thinking "at least I'm not having my marrow sucked." Yeah. It kept me mostly sane for the (kind-of)job interview. Goodluck, and thanks so much for posting. I miss you. Sappy and cliche, I know, but true.