Monday, September 22, 2008

Oncologist's visit #1

Today I had my first visit with Dr Stephenie Hodson, who works out at the Cancer Care Center at St. Al's. I didn't learn much that I didn't already know, except now I have a better idea of what to expect. This week, or early next, I have to get a bunch of tests done. I'm getting a full CT scan so they can see lower than my neck, a PET scan to measure cell metabolic activity, an excisional biopsy of the larger tumor on the right, having a port-a-cath put in, and getting a bone marrow biopsy. The excisional biopsy and the port-a-cath thing are going to kind of suck, because they're the type of things where you're asleep for the procedure and they do a lot of cutting. I am also getting a heart test and a lung test to evaluate the strength of my heart and lungs. Apparently there is a small chance of having heart failure due to chemo, and it can be really hard on the lungs. I am not really sure what they do for those tests. I am also REALLY not looking forward to the bone marrow thing, which is going to be Friday morning. The results of this test are going to determine what kind of treatment I'll be getting... it'd be REALLY not good if they found something wrong with the bone marrow.

It's looking more and more like I'll be able to mostly manage my schedule this semester. She wants to start me up on chemo as soon as next week, probably Thursdays. Apparently, each chemo treatment takes 4-5 hours, and then you're basically completely out of commission for the next 36 hours, possibly more. I was glad to hear that they usually do a very nice job of controlling nausea. I have this nifty book that lists how to eat when you have cancer, and I'm not too worried, but it's looking like I might have to add fish back into my diet (Sorry, Emma!). The chemo might start up as soon as next week, depending on what they find with the additional tests. It'll probably be two times a month, which isn't too bad. If I go in after class Thursday morning, I can have Thursday evening and Friday to recuperate, though I'll have to figure out how I'm going to miss my one class on Friday. However, Mondays through Wednesdays are much busier than Thursdays and Fridays, so I think this is the best option. I am really hoping to avoid radiation therapy because that increases your chance of getting leukemia and breast cancer later in life.

More information to come, as I get it!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Well that doesn't sound as bad as I thought it could be. Hopefully the bone marrow test won't be too bad. Well we may have to cancel Supernatural watching on Thursdays :( . BUT I could always come and bring you ice cream since I heard thats on the list of things you can eat to control nausea. Hmm?

Erin said...

Sorry about the marrow thing. I hope it is not as bad as you fear. I am glad you are moving forward with treatment so quickly. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you to make next weekend (or any weekend) more bearable.