Saturday, November 1, 2008

25% of the way done with chemo...!

So, now that I am one treatment into cycle 2, I am officially 25% of the way done with chemo (6 cycles, with 2 treatments each). This makes me very happy. This means I should be done with chemo by early March (if it stays on schedule), which means I'll probably start radiation in early April, and be done by early May. Hurrah!

This of course means that I have to decide what's happening next semester for me. I keep getting conflicting advice. My doctor suggests that I drop down to part time, but a lot of things I've read in message boards online from people with nearly identical diagnoses/courses of treatment suggest that I can probably stay in school full time if I select my courses carefully. The minimum number of credits to be considered full time in grad school here is 9, which is about three classes, and if I was careful, I could probably swing that. ESPECIALLY if the department let me have a lighter assistantship... like TAing one of the upper level courses where I don't have to sit around in three labs a week. That would be nice!! I would really like to not lose the assistantship since that gives me some income and covers all of my tuition costs. AND I wouldn't have to delay graduation.

In less cool news, I apparently have to get that stupid Neulasta shot every two weeks to stimulate white blood cell production. I hate that shot. It hurts and it give me back spasms for five or six days afterwards. I also really hate the stupid steroids I take for several days after the treatments, and I am resentful of the crazy expensive Emend pills I take for three days with every treatment (crazy expensive= more than $100 per pill).

2 comments:

Eric said...

WooHoo! Stay strong, Emily! I say try to take a lighter load next semester and focus as much of your energy into getting better. Though it would be nice to finish on time, I don't think waiting one more semester to graduate would be that bad. Get well!

D.Smith said...

*HUUUUG*