Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

So I know it's been a long time since I updated... about a month. For some reason I never updated after the last treatment... Oops.

I had a CT scan on Monday, which gave us some good news: All bulky masses in my neck and chest are showing "marked and significant decrease" in size. This means that the chemo is working, hurrah.

I am definitely at the point where the effects of the drugs are taking longer and longer to wear off. I get tired a lot more easily and things perpetually taste off, instead of just in the first three or four days. This could be because the last three weeks I have been fighting a minor pneumonia infection. I am at the tail end of it now, which is good.

I have decided to attempt full time, plus assistantship, for next semester. Full time for BSU grad students is 9 credits, so I registered for two real 3 credit classes (Graduate level Hydrology and Graduate Level GIS) and three 1-credit seminars (regular graduate seminar and two geophysics graduate seminars). The nice thing about the seminars is basically all I have to do is show up. The problem with having that many seminars is I can't count all of them towards my credit total for graduation, and I'm almost certainly not going to be able to make much (or any) progress on my thesis next semester. This means that I am almost definitely going to have to stay a semester longer than anticipated. As far as the assistantship goes, they think that they are going to need a TA for an online 100-level historical geology class. TAing an online course means that I wouldn't have to actually show up for any classes in person; all I'd have to do would be answer emails and do a bunch of online grading, but grading is OK since I can pick when and where I want to do it. Besides, if I didn't have to do all that grading, I'd miss out on all of the really entertaining answers that people write down (Eric would concur, I believe!) :).

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone... eat some tofurkey.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for good news!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Eric said...

TOTALLY the best part of grading! I have one lab left to grade, but probably nothing too fun. Then, that's it except for the final exam answers.

Erin said...

I am not surprised to hear you will be going full time. I am so happy to hear that your chemo is working. Congratulations on your decision and your health!